Aliyah from within Israel

  • How to make Aliyah in 3 Steps
  • Aliyah through Nefesh Be' Nefesh

Aliyah from within Israel

Step 1 | Step 2 | Step 3

Aliyah through the Ministry of Interior in Israel (Misrad Hapnim)

Note: If one or both of your parents is an Israeli citizen, this process does not apply.  

Please note that the Aliyah process in Israel usually takes 6-8 weeks. This time is needed in order for your Proof of Judaism to be approved and to get clearance from the Israeli Police confirming that you have no criminal record. No fee is required.

Aliyah in 3 Steps

Make an appointment at the closest branch of the Ministry of Interior- Misrad Hapnim.
 Get in touch with the Ministry of Interior by phone on *3450 or 1222 3450.
They will tell you where your nearest branch is located. (The estimated time it takes to get an appointment in Jerusalem is approximately 4 weeks.
The phone number to make an appointment in Jerusalem is 02-629-0239).

Make sure to bring:

  • Your current passport must be valid for at least 6 months following your Aliyah.
  • 3 passport pictures for each adult (you will provide one photo to the clerk at the meeting, the rest should be saved for when you return for your follow up appointment).
  • Proof of Judaism in order to receive Oleh Chadash status according to the Law of Return. As a proof of Judaism you can bring the following documents:
    An original letter from your congregational Rabbi from North America, on congregational letterhead, stating you were born to a Jewish mother.
    Original marriage certificate from the Rabanut (if married in Israel).
    Original conversion papers (if applicable).
    • If you converted in Israel, please bring your "Teudat Hamara" from the Rabanut.
    • If you converted abroad, you must bring your conversion certificate signed by three members of the Beit Din (Rabbinical Court) along with a letter describing the details of your conversion process and the dates when you started and completed your conversion.
  • Original birth certificate for all family members making Aliyah.  The birth certificate(s) must have both of your parents' names listed.  Misrad Hapnim will not accept a Consular Report of Birth Abroad as a birth certificate. 
  • All civil documentation of your marital status, including: marriage certificate, civil divorce certificate, spouse's death certificate, if applicable. If you, your spouse, or former spouse is an Israeli citizen, you will need apostille certification on these documents. Please remember that Misrad Hapnim requires that you bring ORIGINAL documents. Photocopies and faxes are not sufficient. 
  • The Ministry of Interior requires that Aliyah applicants obtain a Letter of Good Standing (Teudat Yosher) from the authorities in their country of origin (issued by the national/state/provincial police) certifying that the applicant has no criminal background.  Apostille certification (also called a chain of signatures or legalisation) must be affixed to the original Letter of Good Standing.

You will receive:

  1. Application for permit of permanent residence in Israel/change of visa category (3 pages). You can download and print application at:
  2. A file number and a date for your second appointment (approximately 6-8 weeks later). Your file number will be listed on your passport.

Return for your follow up appointment at Misrad Hapnim.

Make sure to bring:

Your passport, all original documents listed above, and the two remaining passport pictures for each adult over 16 years old.

You will receive:

  • Applications for your Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card) for family members over age 16.
  • Your Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card)
  • An "Oleh visa" which will appear in your passport, showing that you have made Aliyah. 

If you want to change your name this is the right time to do so. Ask for "Shinui Shem" application and give it to the clerk. 

Make sure that your name is spelled correctly, that your family status is correct, and that if you have children they all appear on the "sefach" (addendum) of your Teudat Zehut!

If you spent over 5 years in Israel as a tourist prior to your Aliyah and you would like to receive tax benefits as a new Oleh, (income tax, customs, purchase tax) please ask for a "Tamzit Rishum". A Tamzit Rishom is a print-out that summarizes your status in Israel.

You will have three months to refuse receipt of your Israeli citizenship.  After three months, you will automatically become an Israeli citizen unless you go to Misrad Hapnim and declare you do not want to be a citizen.

Once you receive your Israeli ID card, you should make an appointment at your local branch of Misrad Haklita (the Ministry of Immigrant Absorption) to receive your Teudat Oleh.  If you have been residing in Israel for more than 5 years as a tourist, you will not receive a Teudat Oleh.  We recommend opening a bank account prior to your appointment with Misrad Haklita.  Please bring documentation from your bank regarding your account details.

Please bring:

  1. Teudat Zehut
  2. Passports from your country of origin for the last 7 years
  3. Bank account number
  4. One passport picture for each adult

You will receive:

  1. Teudat Oleh Oleh Booklet
  2. Health insurance voucher to register for Kupat Cholim
  3. Information about your Oleh benefits

At Misrad Haklita they will take your bank account number in order to deposit your Sal Klita payments directly into your bank account.

If you are a Katin Chozer, Ezrach Oleh or had A/1 status before becoming an Oleh - you may be asked to present additional documents. Please confirm which documents you need when you schedule your appointment.

In order for Sal Klita to be deposited, the Oleh should open a regular bank account in a convenient commercial bank. Details of the account should be given to Misrad Haklita. It is recommended to do this as quickly as possible, in the first few days after arriving in Israel. A joint bank account must be opened with both parties present.

Sal Klita

Sal Klita is financial assistance, intended to help Olim with their initial period of adjustment in Israel. The assistance is meant to be in lieu of the housing and living allowance assistance given to Olim, in the past, during the first year of Aliyah. The assistance is given as a grant and continues to be paid in seven monthly installments as long as the Oleh does not leave the country.

Conditions for receiving Sal Klita

  • A person who arrives in Israel as an Oleh.
  • A person who arrives in Israel with any other visa and subsequently changes his status to Oleh after a net stay in Israel of no greater than 18 months in the 3 years, and no greater than 36 months in the past seven years prior to date of Aliyah.
  • Income Support (Havtachat Hachnasa)

    In the period between the end of Sal Klita and joining the work force, the Oleh can examine the possibility of receiving Income Support. Misrad Haklita pays Income Support from the end of Sal Klita until the end of the first year as an Oleh to Olim who are:

    1. registered at Lishkat Hata’asuka (Employment Bureau) and looking for work
    2. learning in a licensing, retraining or professional course
    3. unable to work for health reasons
    4. immediately prior to pension and other incidences.

    Student Authority

    The Israel Student Authority functions as a joint office of the Ministry of Immigrant Absorption and of the Jewish Agency, and assists immigrants\returning minors\citizens born abroad who wish to study in Israel. The assistance includes funding of tuition grants (subject to eligibility) and career counseling, the pre-aliya services, extra tutoring, individual support, and a network of counselors and guides for students on a group and an individual basis.

    For more information on the Israel Student Authority see This web site is primarily aimed at young people who completed high school in Israel and have the Israeli Bagrut certificate. The web site includes information on a wide range of institutions and study tracks recognized by the Council For Higher Education in Israel. (Israel has signed the international agreement by which most degrees studied in Israel are recognized abroad and vise versa).

    Kupot Cholim (Health Plans)

    Four health plans, or kupot cholim, provide health care services in Israel: Maccabi, Meuhedet, Clalit and Leumit. Each health plan offers several levels of service: the basic basket of services, supplemental insurance and long-term care insurance. Contact information may be found below.

    Clalit Health Services

    Phone: 1-222-2700 or *2700 from Israel
    Email: (Hebrew)

    Meuhedet Health Fund

    Phone: 1-222-3833 or *3833 from Israel

    Rules for Driving in Israel with a Foreign Driver's License

    Olim Chadashim (new immigrants), temporary residents, tourists and returning residents (if they resided abroad for at least 1 full year) may drive in Israel with a valid foreign driver's license for one year following their date of entry to Israel.

    Olim and temporary residents may transfer their foreign driver's license within 3 years from their date of entry to Israel.  In the event that an Oleh does not convert their license within this time, they will need to take both the theory test and the practical driving test (but not the 28 lessons that are normally required of Israelis).

    Returning residents (Toshavim Chozrim) are entitled to transfer their foreign license to an Israeli one provided that their license was issued at least 6 months prior to their return to Israel, and on the condition that they resided abroad for at least 6 consecutive months prior to their return to Israel.

    Olim Chadashim will need to present a valid foreign driver's license issued at least 3 months prior to their entry to Israel.

    Tourists can apply to transfer their foreign driver's license with their foreign passport, foreign driver's license and a valid 3-month tourist visa.

    In order to obtain an Israeli driver's license, you will need to take a driving test ("Mivchan Shlita").  You are not required to take a written examination.  If you have multiple entries and exits to Israel in the years preceding your Aliyah, Misrad HaRishui (the Ministry of Vehicle Licensing) reserves the right to request a written test in addition to the practical test.

    Please note that in order to use your Oleh benefits to purchase a new car (or to release an imported car from Customs), you must hold a valid Israel driver's license.

    For a list of Misrad HaRishui offices around the country, please visit or call 1-222-5678 or *5678.


    For more information please visit our "Step-by-step" Guide for New Olim.